Committee Policy Executive
About the BMA
The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK. We represent, support and negotiate on behalf of all UK doctors and medical students.
Join the BMA at a crucial time for doctors and the NHS and be part of a team working for better pay and conditions for the profession.
About the role
We’re looking for a Committee Policy Executive to join BMA Scotland to provide a high level of operational and strategic service to the BMA’s Scottish GP Committee.
The successful candidate will provide a high level of support to national committees, including researching and preparing policy and briefing papers and taking the lead on running specific committees.
They will also undertake complex national committee administration processes including preparing agendas, attending meetings, minute taking, report writing, financial administration, progressing correspondence and running committee elections.
This is a hybrid role and will involve a mix of working from home and our Edinburgh office.
To be successful in the role you’ll ideally have:
- Equivalent or previous experience in a similar role
- Experience in some areas of government, health or social policy. A background in health policy would be particularly advantageous
- Ability to research and develop policy and briefing papers
- Strong administration skills
- Good planning and organisational skills and ability to prioritise and manage own workload effectively
- Good analytical and accuracy skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Influencing skills, particularly in a policy context
- Good relationship building and stakeholder management skills
We anticipate that interviews will take place in early March 2024.
Why work for us?
We offer a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays and a BMA company day
- Double matching pension contributions up to 12% of salary
- Additional leave entitlement for volunteering or moving house (after completion of probationary period)
- Onsite gym and subsidised café at BMA House
- BMA Law - discounted rates for employees requiring legal services such as will writing/conveyancing
- Multiple flexible benefits and discounts through our employee benefits platform
- Lots of Learning and Development/training opportunities via our internal learning hub
- Season ticket loan (up to £10,000) after completion of probationary period
The BMA endeavours to be an inclusive employer, ensuring fairness and consistency to select the best candidate for roles. To support our aims, we use specific software to remove all personal identifying information from CVs and applications. Personal information such as name, date of birth, age and gender are anonymised and will only become visible to hiring managers if you are selected for interview.
Whether the role needs you to work at home, in an office or in a hybrid way, we`ll provide all the support you need.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please apply through our website. However, if you require any reasonable adjustments or additional support at any point during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity & Inclusion Monitoring:
Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts everybody with the right skills and experience and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
BMA is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We want people to bring their unique blend of experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and knowledge as we recognise that diversity makes us stronger.
Please note, we are unable to provide sponsorship under the UK points-based immigration system, as we do not hold a sponsorship licence.