The British Medical Association (BMA) is the trade union and professional body for doctors in the UK.
Our Member Relations directorate (MRD) is responsible for the organisation and representation of around 170,000 members in hundreds of healthcare settings across England.
This is an exciting time in MRD. Working with our reps and members we have helped the BMA to grow to record levels, beaten ballot turnout records, supported members in fighting for fair pay and introduced a new strategy which focuses on five pillars of our trade union work - density; reps; visibility; negotiation and representation.
This is a part time role for 32 hours per week.
We’re looking for a Project Officer to join our Directors office and help our 200 + staff deliver the new strategy. Working closely with the Director and management team in this unique role you will:
- Proactively support and manage key projects
- Be a trusted advisor to the management team, horizon scanning and future proofing our plans
To be successful as a Project Officer you’ll have:
- Considerable experience working at a strategic level within a Trade Union or similar environment (essential)
- Expertise in industrial relations, union activism, rep development and bargaining (essential)
- Strong project and strategy management skills (essential)
- Understanding of recent policy developments in the public sector
- Strong stakeholder management and relationship building skills
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
Most of all we are looking for someone who is up for the challenge of helping the BMA to become a more effective and powerful trade union advocate for its members. If this sounds like you, Apply below.
Why work for us?
We offer a wide range of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays and a BMA company day
- Double matching pension contributions up to 12% of salary
- Additional leave entitlement for volunteering or moving house (after completion of probationary period)
- Onsite gym and subsidised café at BMA House
- BMA Law - discounted rates for employees requiring legal services such as will writing/conveyancing
- Multiple flexible benefits and discounts through our employee benefits platform
- Lots of Learning and Development/training opportunities via our internal learning hub
- Season ticket loan (up to £10,000) after completion of probationary period
The BMA endeavours to be an inclusive employer, ensuring fairness and consistency to select the best candidate for roles. To support our aims, we use specific software to remove all personal identifying information from CVs and applications. Personal information such as name, date of birth, age and gender are anonymised and will only become visible to hiring managers if you are selected for interview.
Whether the role needs you to work at home, in an office or in a hybrid way, we`ll provide all the support you need.
If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please apply through our website. However, if you require any reasonable adjustments or additional support at any point during the application process, please email email@example.com.
Diversity & Inclusion Monitoring:
Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts everybody with the right skills and experience and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
BMA is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We want people to bring their unique blend of experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and knowledge as we recognise that diversity makes us stronger.
Please note, we are unable to provide sponsorship under the UK points-based immigration system, as we do not hold a sponsorship licence.